Why your small business needs a lead magnet
In the world of online businesses, a lead magnet is an essential component of your content marketing for your small business.
A lead magnet is used as a list builder. It helps you to build an email marketing list from those that visit your website.
Now let’s learn more about why you need one and what they are.
So what is a lead magnet?
A lead magnet is an offer on your website for a visitor to download. In exchange for an email address, you provide something of value in return to them. It’s generally a downloadable that is sent via email.
The offer is something of importance and valuable to your target market. Something that they’re looking for an answer to. Something that will help them to solve problem they have.
They can come in many forms such as a
- List of resources
- Guide for doing a specific task
Why should I give away free things?
It creates trust and rapport. You’re helping someone who’s needs a solution to a problem. But you don’t have to give away a huge thing, it’s something of value to your leads.
How do lead magnets work?
Here’s an example. A copywriter may give a template away on how to write a blog post. So I bet you’re wondering if you’re selling blog content writing services, why would you tell someone how to do this?
- It allows others to see that you know what you’re doing. That you’re a professional, and that you know your stuff.
- The other reason is that people are looking for information on the web. They may not know that they want to buy at this point. They still may be at the stage where they’re writing their own blogs and not looking at outsourcing just yet.
- As you channel your leads along the sales funnel, you drip feed little bits of information to help them with other problems they may have.
- They then get to a point when perhaps they don’t have time to blog, or not getting the results they’re after, so they look for someone that they trust.
And that’s you. As you’ve been helping them along the way, giving them useful information – free.
Tips for creating lead magnets
- It has to be of value to your target market, or key buyer persona.
- It needs to be consumed in 5 – 10 minutes straight after download
- It should look professional
- It should solve their problem
So if you don’t have a lead magnet yet, then now’s the time to create one.
There’s lots of blog posts out there on how to create one. But remember, they shouldn’t be lengthy or take too long to create.
Over to you
So tell us about any great lead magnets you’ve download recently.